We at Earthstompers take our impact on the community and environment seriously. We are involved with a variety of initiatives which we believe make a positive impact on our community. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you would like to know more about these initiatives or volunteer your support while you travel.
Fair Trade approved
As a Fair Trade approved tour operator, we offer a holiday which makes use of many Fair Trade certified activities and accommodation establishments, meaning that:
- Purchasing policies favour locally appropriate and ecologically sustainable products, including building materials, capital goods, food and beverages where possible.
- The tourism business contributes to the protection of any sites on its properties that have historical, archaeological, cultural or spiritual importance, and does not impede access to them by local residents.
- The tourism business actively supports initiatives for local community development of infrastructure and social aspects including, among others, education, training, health and sanitation. The tourism business is in compliance with all applicable national and international legislation, regulations, licenses and permits.
Tourism Boot Camp
Our colleagues at PG Tops are leading a great initiative called Tourism Boot Camp, aimed at upskilling underprivileged young people and helping them to find work in the tourism industry. Tourism is one of the fastest growing sectors in South Africa, and yet nearly half of young people are unemployed. Tourism Boot Camp aims to bridge this gap.
The Boot Camp is offered ten times per year, and for each class, Chrissy Human volunteers her time to teach the trainees skills in using spreadsheets, understanding and pricing itineraries, and consulting with potential clients.
At Earthstompers Adventures value and respect the natural environment, and seek to minimize the negative environmental impact of our tours and operations. We are always striving to be “greener” by doing the following:
- Carbon offsets: We give our guests the opportunity to offset a portion of the carbon emissions of their tour by purchasing trees through Greenpop for planting in South Africa. Trees can be added to your bill when booking your tour!
- Minimizing water use: we wash the outside of our tour vehicles only once per tour, using grey or recycled water. (Don’t worry, we regularly clean the inside of the vehicles, and windows will always be kept clean for a clear view of our beautiful country.)
- Mimimizing waste: Earthstompers staff take reusable water bottles and coffee cups on the road, to minimize the use of disposable cups. We also have reusable shopping bags, so that we don’t take a plastic bag from the till. We encouage our guests to do the same – Earthstompers branded water bottles, coffee mugs, and shopping bags are available for purchase while on tour! 🙂
- Wildlife responsibility: Earthstompers does not to offer animal attractions on our tours where wild animals are trained or kept in enclosures for human entertainment. Earthstompers does not support riding, touching or walking alongside wild animals. We much prefer the awesome National Parks and game reserves that South Africa has to offer, where tourists can see animals in their natural environment. We hope you will support us in this decision! Please ask if you have any questions about specific attractions, we will continue to make decisions as we go with the best information we have available.