BE A RESPONSIBLE TRAVELLER
At Earthstompers Adventures, we encourage our guests to be responsible travellers.
We are lucky to live in a beautiful country with great infrastructure to travel in, and we would like to continue tours showing off this beautiful country for years to come.
We know it will only be possible if we look after our country, people, wildlife, and natural environment. As a company we strive to operate in a responsible way, but this is not possible without the help of our guests. We have therefore identified ways in which you can limit negative impacts and make a positive contribution while travelling with Earthstompers Adventures.
Water is a valuable resource, and both the Western and Eastern Cape where our tours travel experience periodic droughts. We ask that you be conscientious when using water by:
- Taking showers instead of baths
- Having short showers
- Not running the tap while brushing teeth or washing hands
- Only flushing the toilet when necessary
- Reusing towels when possible
Earthstompers discourages the use of single-use paper or plastics. Please:
- Refill your water bottle (we have awesome Earthstompers water bottles available if you don’t have one)
- Don’t use takeaway coffee cups – bring your own (we have awesome Earthstompers coffee mugs available if you don’t have one)
- Don’t use straws
- Don’t take plastic shopping bags – use a backpack or buy a reusable bag
- Recycle tins, bottles, glass, and plastic when possible
- Don’t print your itinerary or voucher. Your guide will have ALL the info readily available
Earthstompers believes in prioritizing our National Parks. In doing so, we support the conservation of South Africa’s wildlife and indigenous flora. We proudly include four National Parks in our weekly 5 & 6 Day Garden Route Tours. Earthstompers aims to limit the impact on fauna & flora when visiting these areas. How can you help:
- Do not remove anything from our National Parks. Not even a stone
- Keep your distance from wildlife and listen to your guide’s instructions
- Never touch a wild animal
- Always stay on the marked/designated trail when hiking
- Take out what you brought in to the Park. Leave only your footprints
Earthstompers does not support unnatural animal encounters. As a Fairtrade tour operator, we follow Fairtrade’s guidelines with regards to animal encounters. What does this mean?
- Support only National Parks and Private Game Reserves with free roaming wildlife, in
their natural habitat
- Never walk with or touch a wild animal like lion, cheetah, elephant
- Never ride a wild animal like ostrich or elephant
- Never feed a wild animal like baboons or dassies
Earthstompers does our best to limit air pollution. How can you help:
- By joining a group tour you are already reducing your carbon footprint – well done!
- Purchase a tree. We give all guests the opportunity to donate a tree, when booking our tour directly. The tree will be planted on your behalf in South Africa.
- Be conservative when using electricity – turn off lights or air con in your rooms when not needed
Earthstompers is mindful of the many cultures which make up our rainbow nation. We aim to educate our guests on sensitive topics and situations they might encounter on our route. How you can be a conscientious traveller:
- Take the opportunity to learn about all of the different cultures who call South Africa home
- Be sensitive and respectful to people who are of a difference race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or speak a different language than you do
- Choose small local businesses for your shopping. We believe this is a good way to have a direct positive economic impact on local communities. There are loads of awesome local options for restaurants, shops, and curios. Earthstompers is a small, family-run business, and we strive to support other small businesses
- If you would like to make a donation, please speak to us about worthy local causes